Wednesday, July 20, 2011

PeoplePleasing


Sometimes (okay, I admit, "most times") when I write this blog I really censor who I am and I am very careful about what I say and how I say it.  I do this for three reasons: 

A.  I don't want to offend anyone
B.  I don't want anyone to think poorly of me
C.  I want people to like me

I have to admit that there are people in my life that when I am in their presence my guts get all twisted up and I lose all sense of who I am.  I basically turn into a nauseous, stammering idiot or a stand-up comedian.  (Personally I believe I play the role of the stammering idiot quite well; but I could use some pointers as a comedian...)

Why am I telling you this?  I'm not really sure; but I have been thinking some lately about my need to please others--you all included.  I have often wondered why I do this blogging if I don't feel free to say what I really want to say or say it how I want to say it... I guess I just have hope that one day I will be comfortable enough with who I was created to be and just write whatever I feel led to write.  I can't wait!  I hope it happens in my life time...

Anyway, back to PEOPLE PLEASING....



People Pleasers …
  1. People pleasers take most criticism personally (Yup I do that and then I ruminate about what they  said over and over and over...)
  2. People pleasers feel an extraordinary fear of rejection. (Yup!  Rejection sucks!--I try to avoid it at all costs.  I will do most anything for 'ya if you promise to let me hang around for a while...)
  3. People pleasers have a hard time saying "No" (Like I said in #2 I'll do most anything for you...)
  4. People pleasers find it hard to express their true feelings because they don’t want to hurt others (Oh, ya...now we're talking!  I would rather choke on my words rather than speak (or write) them and risk offending...)  
So what is a PEOPLE PLEASER to do? 
Consider the following:
  • Becoming obsessed about what others think about you is the fastest way to forget what God thinks about you.
OUCH!  (and that's all I have to say...)


(I stole some of my information from the following spot)


"The art of pleasing is the art of deception".

Marquis De Vauvenargues







No comments:

Post a Comment