Saturday, October 30, 2010

God sees you even in the bathrrom

I absolutely hate it when "no-touch" sensor-driven technology refuses to acknowledge my presence! 

You know what I am talking about:  Hand dryers, faucets, soap dispensors and lets not forget...toilets that can't sense the motion of my lily white tush! (and that is not the word that I wanted to use)

Why is it that this stuff can't "see" me?  Am I wearing the wrong color?  Do I not radiate the correct infrared wave frequency?  I don't get it.  Is it just me? 

I've been told that they "see" motion, but I am not convinced.  I kid you not, I have done something I have come to call the "Walmart Wiggle" and I still come up wet handed!

Well this phenomena has got me to thinking about God. Yup, in my head there is a connection. 

I have always liked the story of Hagar in the Bible.  Here is the simple version:  Hagar is a slave woman who gets knocked up by her master, Abraham at the request of  Abraham's wife, Sarah.  (Sarah is barren).  Well Sarah gets all bent out of shape about something and then tells Abraham to get rid of her and they kick Hagar to the desert.  (This is my version, for the Biblically correct version go to Genesis 16 or so)

Anyway, this Egyptian slave encounters God in the desert and He sees her predicament and speaks to her...  In fact, Hagar coins a new name for God...EL ROI (pronounced Elroy--like George Jetson's dog).  Anyway, EL ROI means "The God Who Sees ME".

This name for God is only used once in the entire Bible...and it is Hagar's story.  I like that...  (and I bet that if Hagar lived in 21st century USA the bathroom fixtures would cooperate for her!)

So everytime those blasted dryers, soapers and flushers won't work for you, just remember that even if they can't see you--God can. 

So have a great Saturday morning and if you end up in a Walmart bathroom or such, just go ahead, I won't judge you...just shake wiggle, shake and if need be dance...and if all else fails, just wipe your hands on your pants.



Sincerely,
The Church Organist Daughter

She [Hagar] gave this name to the Lord who spoke to her:  "You are the God who sees me, " for she said, "I have now seen the One who sees me."  That is why the well was call Beer Lahai Roi [well of the Living One who sees me"]  Genesis 16:13-14 
Seriously a Beer well...I am all for beer...well I use to be...

2 comments:

  1. I just knew you were going to try and twist the sink thingy into a bible story of some sort...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just knew you were going to make a witty analogy. You know, since you can do that...about whatever you want...whatever your personal beliefs are, you can "twist" (or perhaps just naturally think out loud) even the sink thingy into whatever you want...since, you know...your thoughts and stories come from your personal experiences and beliefs. Which is cool, since that's what blogging is all about, yo.

    And THAT is why I appreciated this post.

    ReplyDelete